The Seattle University men's tennis team finished their two-day, three-match trip to the Portland area Saturday with a 7-0 loss to UC Davis at the Louisiana-Pacific Tennis Center in Portland, Ore.
The Redhawks saw the best chance for a point at No. 2 singles, where Kevin Lynch (Colorado Springs, Colo.) played a three-set affair with Kyle Miller of UC Davis. Lynch won 15 games overall, including seven due to a tiebreak in the second set, but it wasn't enough to overcome Miller as Lynch fell 6-4, 6-7, 6-4.
Will Topp (Olympia, Wash.) and Zach Kosanke (Bellevue, Wash.) also took their matches to three sets. Topp, at the top spot of the singles lineup, winning 15 total games as well. He pushed the Aggies' Toki Sherbakov to a tiebreak in the first set before falling 7-6 then won the second 5-7. Topp couldn't muster many points in the third set, however, and fell 6-2. Kosanke, at No. 3 doubles, won the first set 4-6, then lost the next two 6-2 and 6-3 to end his weekend with a loss.
The Redhawks were competitive in the doubles competition that opened the match, but again couldn't muster enough games for a win. Lynch teamed up with Jason Bediones (Kent, Wash.) and took five games from UC Davis' duo of Miller and Alec Haley, but lost 8-5 in the second doubles position. Kyle Rapp (Encinitas, Calif.) and Flavio Malagutti (Rio Claro, Brazil) also won five games at No. 3 doubles, but were down at the time their match was stopped 7-5 to UC Davis' George Horowitz and Brett Bacharach. The top doubles match, Topp and Kosanke versus Sherbakov and Adam Levie of UC Davis, was won the Aggies 8-1.
The Redhawks will play their next five matches in the greater Seattle area, with four of them being home contests. They face Eastern Washington Saturday, Feb. 9 at 5:00 p.m. The contest, their second home match of the year, will be played at The Sammamish Club in Issaquah, Wash.
UC Davis 7, Seattle University 0
1. Sherbakov/Levie (UCD) def. Topp/Kosanke (SU) 8-1
2. Miller/ Haley (UCD) def. Lynch/Bediones (SU) 8-5
3. Rapp/Malagutti (SU) versus Horowitz/Bacharach (UCD) unfinished-UC Davis led 7-5
1. Toki Sherbakov (UCD) def. Will Topp (SU) 7-6, 5-7, 6-2
2. Kyle Miller (UCD) def. Kevin Lynch (SU) 6-4, 6-7, 6-4
3. Parker Kelley (UCD) def. Zach Kosanke (SU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. Brett Bacharach (UCD) def. Jason Bediones (SU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Alec Haley (UCD) def. Kyle Rapp (SU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Hugo Verdi-Fortin (UCD) def. Ian Clare (SU) 6-2, 6-1