Thanks to strong play throughout the lineup, the Seattle University women's tennis team earned their first win of the dual season Friday with a 5-2 victory over Idaho State in Pocatello, Idaho.
The Redhawks started the afternoon by winning the doubles point. Lindsey Newman (Freeland, Wash.) and Sarah Lucas (Las Vegas, Nev.) teamed up to take down Madelyn Weltzin and Kasey Bacon of Idaho State 8-2 at No. 2 doubles, and Corinne Wurden (Poulsbo, Wash.) and Kristen James (Lubbock, Texas) beat the Bengals' Laura Theus and Marian Tangarife 8-5 at No. 3 doubles to clinch the Redhawks' doubles point.
The first doubles match, which put Anna Lambert (Spokane, Wash.) and Gabriella Weissmann (Simi Valley, Calif.) against Svenja Tegtmeier and Wiebke Boeckmann of Idaho State, was stopped upon the completion of the other two matches. At the time play was stopped, Tegtmeier and Boeckman led Lambert and Weissmann 5-3.
The Redhawks' hot start carried over into singles play as four Redhawks won individual matches. Wurden earned the Redhawks' biggest win on the day, taking down ISU's Zamira Vazquez in straight sets, 6-2, 6-1. Also winning in two sets, Lucas defeated Teftmeier 6-3, 6-4 in the fifth singles position, and Newman earned a win at the top of the lineup with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over ISU's Bacon.
At No. 2 singles, Lambert's win was delayed as she needed a third set to take down the Bengals' Weltzin. Lambert lost the first set but took the next two to prevail 3-6, 6-4, 7-5.
Two Redhawks dropped their singles matches against Idaho State. At No. 6 singles, James won the first set, but couldn't close out her opponent, Theus, and fell 5-7, 6-1, (10-6), while in the third singles spot, Weissmann fell to Teingarife 6-3, 7-6(8-6).
The Redhawks (1-2) will travel 234 miles west for their next match, a neutral site showdown with Weber State in Boise, Idaho. That match is scheduled to start at 9:00 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 2.
Seattle University 5, Idaho State 2
1) Lambert/Weissmann (SU) versus Tegtmeier/Boeckmann (ISU) Incomplete-ISU held 5-3 lead
2) Newman/Lucas (SU) def. Weltzin /Bacon (ISU) 8-2
3) Wurden/James (SU) def. Theus/Tangarife (ISU) 8-5
1) Lindsey Newman (SU) def. Kasey Bacon (ISU) 7-5, 6-1
2) Anna Lambert (SU) def. Madelyn Weltzin 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
3) Marian Tangarife (ISU) def. Gabriella Weissmann (SU) 6-3, 7-6(8-6)
4) Corinne Wurden (SU) def. Zamira Vazquez (ISU) 6-2, 6-1
5) Sarah Lucas (SU) def. Svenja Tegtmeier (ISU) 6-3, 6-4
6) Laura Theus (ISU) def. Kristen James (SU) 5-7, 6-1 (10-6)