CHICAGO – (April 15) After losing the starting doubles point, the Seattle University men’s tennis team battled back and won a tough Western Athletic Conference match against UTRGV 4-3 on Sunday morning at the H-F Racquet and Fitness Club.
The doubles point came down to the wire, as the Vaqueros won the first match on the first court but the Redhawks took the match on court three 6-3 thanks to great play from Arshak Ghazaryan and Emilio Monroy. Court two decided the point where UTRGV secured the point with a 7-5 win.
The Redhawks didn’t give in despite having their backs against the wall and losing the first singles match in the second flight. Colton Weeldreyer got the comeback started with a big 3-6, 6-0, 6-3 win in the third flight to make it 2-1 in favor of UTRGV. Monroy and Jeremiah Kalmus followed to take a 3-2 lead with wins at #4 and #6, respectively. Needing a win on one of the two remaining courts, Trenton Nield came through for SU. After dropping the first set 4-6, he came back stronger and took the next two sets 6-4, 7-6 to clinch their third straight victory.
“This morning was an incredible match,” head coach Adam Reeb said. “We lost a tough doubles point, but as we’ve done all season long, we responded to that adversity so well. It was just an incredible effort by the guys. We played with a lot of intensity and kept trying to be aggressive on every court. This was a very good weekend for us and a great way to finish the regular season, Now it’s time to prepare as well as possible for the WAC tournament in two weeks.”
The WAC Tournament will take place in Mesa, Ariz. from April 27 through the 29 with matchups and times to be determined.
Tennis Match Results
Seattle vs UT Rio Grande Valley
Apr 15, 2018 at Homewood, IL
(H-F Racquet and Fitness Club)
Seattle 4, UT Rio Grande Valley 3
- Nield, Trenton (SU) def. Boisseau, Dennis (UTRGV) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
- Kaufman, Yehonatan (UTRGV) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 7-6, 6-0
- Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. Johnstone, Elliot (UTRGV) 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
- Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. Sarradin, Clement (UTRGV) 6-2, 6-4
- Kohrs, Zane (UTRGV) def. Chan, Alex (SU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Kalmus, Jeremiah (SU) def. Schmit, Mateo (UTRGV) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
- Boisseau, Dennis/Schmit, Mateo (UTRGV) def. Alderson, Matt/Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 6-4
- Kaufman, Yehonatan/Johnstone, Elliot (UTRGV) def. Nield, Trenton/Sanabria, Adrian (SU) 7-5
- Ghazaryan, Arshak/Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. Sarradin, Clement/Kohrs, Zane (UTRGV) 6-3
Seattle 10-12, 2-3 WAC
UT Rio Grande Valley 10-12, 1-4 WAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,4,6,1,5)
Official: Dianna Foley T-3:10 A-25