SEATTLE – (Feb. 14) The Seattle University men’s tennis team hosted #7 UCLA at the Mercer Island Wednesday evening and competed well against a top team, but dropped the home match 7-0.
The Bruins are 8-1 on the year and ranked 7th in the NCAA rankings, and showed why Wednesday night. In doubles, the Redhawks hung with them, but couldn’t win the big turning points, dropping matches at #3 and #1 lose the doubles point.
Trenton Nield fought a tough battle in the first flight, just losing the first set 7-5, then falling 6-1 in the second. Emilio Monroy gave SU their only set win with a 7-5 win in his first set in the fourth flight, and then barely losing the decisive third set 12-10. Despite the loss, head coach Adam Reeb saw a number of positive things.
“Tonight was a fun match and a great fight by the guys,” Reeb said. “We showed there wasn’t that much that separate us from one of the top teams in the country. We just need to take confidence from this match and step up and win those big points in matches. We’re excited to build on tonight and look forward to playing again at home this weekend.
“Special thanks to SU tennis alum and Director of Junior Tennis at Mercer Island, Jesse Walter, for helping us host UCLA there and for helping get a big crowd to the match. It was a lot of fun to watch.”
The Redhawks will host Southern Utah on Saturday at 7:30 p.m., and also Pacific Lutheran on Sunday at noon. Both matches will be played at the Tennis Center at Sand Point.
Tennis Match Results
UCLA vs Seattle U
Feb 14, 2018 at Seattle, Wash.
(Mercer Island Country Club)
UCLA 7, Seattle U 0
- Keegan Smith (UCLA) def. Nield, Trenton (SU) 7-5, 6-1
- Evan Zhu (UCLA) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) 6-2, 6-2
- Logan Staggs (UCLA) def. Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 6-2, 6-4
- Maxime Cressy (UCLA) def. Monroy, Emilio (SU) 5-7, 6-2, 12-10
- Connor Hance (UCLA) def. Schoettler, Michael (SU) 6-4, 6-3
- Austin Rapp (UCLA) def. Kalmus, Jeremiah (SU) 6-1, 6-0
- Maxime Cressy/Evan Zhu (UCLA) def. Nield, Trenton/Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) 6-3
- Schoettler, Michael/Kalmus, Jeremiah (SU) vs. Keegan Smith/Austin Rapp (UCLA) 5-4, unfinished
- Ben Goldberg/Bryce Pereira (UCLA) def. Ghazaryan, Arshak/Chan, Alex (SU) 6-2
Seattle U 3-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 1); Singles (6, 2, 5, 3, 1, 4)