SEATTLE – (Nov. 24) Seattle University men’s basketball trailed the University of Washington by one, 83-82, with 55 seconds remaining Friday afternoon at Alaska Airlines Arena. But a late turnover coupled with a perfect 6-for-6 free-throw performance by the Huskies sent the Redhawks to an 89-84 defeat against their crosstown rivals.

UW (3-2) led by as many as 10 mid-way through the first half, but Seattle U (2-4) never trailed by more than seven in the second, and took a brief lead with 12:07 to play.

A three by Matisse Thybulle gave the Huskies a 74-67 cushion with 6:08 remaining. But the Redhawks responded with a 6-0 run on baskets by Matej Kavas, Jordan Hill and Josh Hearlihy, making it a one-point ballgame with 4:27 to go.

The Huskies would score the next four points on free throws before Aaron Menzies dropped in his 17th point of the night on a pass from Josh Hearlihy.

Jaylen Noell’s bucket plus the and-one free throw pushed the UW lead back to six, 81-75, with 3:11 to play. But Seattle U answered again with a long three by Kavas and a pair of Healthy free throws.

Noah Dickerson made a pair from the charity stripe with 1:09 to go and Kavas would answer with a runner in lane with 55 seconds remaining.

Out of a timeout, Menzies picked up his fifth foul and Nowell sank two free throws to put UW on top, 85-82 with 33 seconds on the clock. The Redhawks had a chance to tie it on the ensuing possession, but Nowell forced Aaron Nettles into a turnover and scored UW’s final four points from the free throw line to seal the win.

“We had two critical turnovers in the last four minutes and (UW) made us pay at the line,” said Head Coach Jim Hayford. “Credit the team that won, they hit 90 percent from the line in the second half.”

Kavas led four Redhawks in double-figures, finishing with 25 points on 8-of-14 from the field and 5-of-10 from three. Menzies had 13 points and 10 boards in the first half before finishing with a 17-point, 13-board double-double. Hill and Hearlihy added 16 points apiece while Healthy also dished seven assists.

After shooting just 36.4 percent from the field in the first half, the Redhawks went 16-of-25 (64 percent) in the second half, including 7-of-15 from deep (46.7 percent).

Nowell led UW with 25 points, including 12-of-13 from the charity stripe. Thybulle added 18 points and David Crisp had 16.

Seattle U won the battle on the boards with a 35-28 edge. The Redhawks also hauled in 14 offensive boards for 16 second-chance points.

“To play five of our first six games on the road has been a grind, but we’re getting better,” Hayford said. “We shot 64 percent in the second half, we were good at the line and we’re seeing progress every game.”

The Redhawks will now settle in at home for the next eight weeks as they play 13 of the next 14 on their home court. The stretch begins Monday, Nov. 27 against Idaho State. Tip off at KeyArena is set for 7 p.m. The game will stream live on the WAC Digital Network and can be heard live on KTTH 770 AM.