SEATTLE – (Feb. 10) The Seattle University men’s tennis team hosted its first home match of the season Saturday evening and defeated Linfield 7-0 at the Tennis Center at Sand Point.
The Redhawks were coming off of a 9-0 win against Whitworth last weekend, and they kept the momentum going for Saturday. Right off the bat, the Redhawks took control of the match, taking the doubles point with victories on all three courts.
Then in singles, SU didn’t let down. Defending WAC player of the week, Colton Weeldreyer got it all started in the third flight, shutting down his opponent 6-0, 6-0 and setting the tone for the rest of the evening. Emilio Monroy followed with a 6-0, 6-2 win at #4, and Arshak Ghazaryan sealed the win with a 6-4, 6-1 victory at #2.
“Tonight was a solid performance by the guys,” head coach Adam Reeb said. “Our energy in doubles was better and that carried into the singles.”
The Redhawks are back in action tomorrow morning as they host Idaho State at 10:30 a.m. at the Tennis Center at Sand Point.
“We’re looking forward to playing a very good Idaho State team tomorrow morning where we’ll need to focus and bring it,” Reeb added.
Tennis Match Results
Linfield vs Seattle U
Feb 10, 2018 at Seattle, Wash.
(Tennis Center at Sand Point)
Seattle U 7, Linfield 0
- Nield, Trenton (SU) def. Saragoza, Nathan (LIN) 6-4, 6-4
- Ghazaryan, Arshak (SU) def. Rojas, Luis (LIN) 6-4, 6-1
- Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. Barcellos, J.C. (LIN) 6-0, 6-0
- Monroy, Emilio (SU) def. Mangan, Jacob (LIN) 6-0, 6-2
- Kalmus, Jeremiah (SU) def. Rutherford, Eric (LIN) 6-0, 6-3
- Alderson, Matt (SU) def. Lutaaya, John (LIN) 6-0, 6-2
- Nield, Trenton/Weeldreyer, Colton (SU) def. McNair, Ben/Saragoza, Nathan (LIN) 6-4
- Kalmus, Jeremiah/Schoettler, Michael (SU) def. Rutherford, Eric/Rojas, Luis (LIN) 6-1
- Ghazaryan, Arshak/Chan, Alex (SU) def. Barcellos, J.C./Mangan, Jacob (LIN) 6-1
Seattle U 2-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (3, 4, 2, 1, 6, 5)